A Message from The Principal
August 5, 2019
Dear Weller Parents/Guardians and Community Members,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year!!!
At Joseph Weller Elementary School, our vision is:
Weller Mustangs are motivated, innovative, and collaborative leaders who are determined to persevere, become self-directed learners, and successful citizens.
As Principal of Joseph Weller Elementary School, it is my pleasure to welcome you to the 2019-2020 school
year. Our new Assistant Principal, Mario Torres, and I are excited to begin the school year with all of you.
I hope you had a wonderful summer vacation and I hope our Weller scholars are ready to return to school. If you are new to Weller Elementary School, I hope you are looking forward to being part of our Weller community.
Our dedicated teachers and support staff members have been working hard to prepare for the beginning of the new school year. We have several new staff members joining our teaching team and support team this year. You will meet them at Back to School Night on Thursday, September 5th.
In the Milpitas Unified School District, we believe in the culture of “We” - not just me, not just you, but all of us - parents, teachers, support staff members, and students. We will work together, communicate regularly, share our experiences, and provide our students with the opportunities they need to be successful.
Weller Elementary School is a Leader in Me School. We practice and incorporate the principles from the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People in our teaching and learning. We are training our students to be leaders. Parents, grandparents, and guardians - you are leaders too. I encourage you to get involved in our school and your child(ren)’s education by volunteering your time and talent. Be a member of our PTA, (Parent Teacher Association), or School Site Council (SSC), or English Language Advisory Council (ELAC). You can also help in our classrooms, attend monthly Principal Coffee Chats and family and parent events. Research shows that parent involvement has a positive effect on student achievement and other success factors.
I look forward to working together with you in partnership as we share a common goal of providing the best education for our students (your children).
If you have any questions, please call or stop by the school office.
Alicia I. Padilla
Principal | Joseph Weller Elementary School | (408) 635-2876 x1105
Here are some important notes and reminders as we transition into the new school year:
The FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL is Thursday, August 15th, 2019
School begins at 8:00 AM
(Minimum Day Dismissal)
- ALL STUDENTS MUST BE PRESENT ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL in order to maintain their enrollment at Weller Elementary School. This is our District’s policy. Students who are not present on the first day of school may be placed on our waiting list and overflowed to a different elementary school - depending on enrollment.
- (NEW this year): Minimum Day Dismissal on the first two days of school (Thurs. Aug. 15th and Fri. Aug. 16th); Kindergartners will have Minimum Day Dismissal Aug.15th - Aug. 30th; Please note NEW MINIMUM DAY DISMISSAL TIMES for 1st - 6th graders (10 minutes added to allow for a lunch period during the school day) see schedule next page and on the website)
- (NEW this year): Weller will have a lunch/brunch period during the school day on Minimum Days. Students may purchase lunch or bring a lunch from home on these days.
- Regular Dismissal begins on Monday, August 19th for 1st - 6th graders and on Tuesday, September 3rd for Kindergartners.
- Weller is a uniform school. ALL students are expected to be in uniform on the first day of school. (REMINDER: Sweatpants or athletic pants and shorts are not considered uniform clothing.) See the Weller website for updated information on our school uniform policy and school colors for uniform tops and bottoms)
Parents will need to access the Aeries Parent Portal to complete emergency forms for each child.
- (NEW this year): An email will be sent to parents prior to the first day of school explaining the electronic registration process. Please follow the online instructions , complete online forms, and return signed copies to the school office.
- NOTE: If your email has changed, then you will need to log into Aeries to update your email address. Contact the school office to share any updated information.
YOU ARE ALL INVITED: Welcome Back Meet & Greet Popsicle Party
- Wednesday, August 14th at 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM near the lower parking lot on Boulder Street
- Class Assignments will be posted. The office will not be able to make any schedule adjustments.
- School Tours at 4:00 PM for those who are new to Weller
- Note: Our teachers will be setting up their classrooms and will not be available to meet with parents at this time.
- Our school website is: www.weller.musd.org . Visit it frequently for new updates.
- SAVE THE DATE: Back to School Night is Thursday, September 5th at 6:00 PM
We are looking forward to seeing all of you on August 15th!!
Here are a few reminders:
- The Weller School office will reopen on Monday, August 5th at 8:30 AM.
- Summer Office Hours are: 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM; Closed for LUNCH from 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
- Once students are enrolled, parents will be able to access the Parent Portal for all updates
- The First Day of School for the 2019-2020 School Year will be on Thursday, August 15th, 2019. It will be a MINIMUM DAY (new this year). Also, the second day of school, Friday, August 16th, will be a MINIMUM DAY.
Thursday, August 15th, 2019 - Minimum Day
Friday August 16th, 2019 - Minimum Day
Help your teachers get a case of Paper.
Joseph Weller Elementary School is proud to be
a Leader in Me School
- School starts at 8:00 AM
- Weller is a Uniform School. Students are expected to wear uniforms to school each day. See the Uniform Tab under ABOUT for more Information. If you need assistance with uniform clothing, please stop by the office to see what we have in our uniform closet. These items are free.
Meet our Front Office staff members:
Alicia Padilla, Principal
Mario Torres, Assistant Principal
David Ames, Principal's Secretary
Alicia Chairez, Staff Secretary
Anita Matheson, Health Clerk/Staff Secretary
Connect with us on Parent Square - Download the App; Receive Messages and Alerts from Weller
Joseph Weller Elementary School - 2017-2018 School Accountability Report Card (SARC) for the 2017-2018 school year is now available for you to view. Click on the link to access the report.
Copies of the SARC report are also available in the school office.. If you would like a hardcopy of the report, please contact the school office at (408) 635-2876.