Important Registration Information

KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION will begin at all elementary sites on Wednesday, March 1, 2017 and will continue throughout the school year. Students who turn 5 years of age on or before September 1, 2017 are eligible to enroll in kindergarten for the 2017-2018 school year.


TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN (TK) is the first year of a 2-year program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Your child must turn 5 years old between September 2, 2017 and December 2, 2017 in order to be eligible for TK for the 2017-2018 school year. Children who turn 5 after December 2, 2017 will need to enroll in March 2018 for kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year.



OPEN ENROLLMENT is a request to transfer from your assigned resident school to another school within Milpitas Unified School District. To qualify, your child must be living within the Milpitas Unified School District and enrolled at the resident school during the lottery process. Request forms and additional information will be available at your resident school and the district office beginning March 1, 2017. Only the following schools will be accepting requests for the 2017-2018 school year: Burnett, Randall, Rose Elementary, and Rancho Middle School.


INTER-DISTRICT TRANSFERS approved for the 2016-2017 school year will expire in May 2017. An approved inter-district transfer request must be on file for non-residents to continue attending school in the Milpitas Unified School District for the 2017-2018 school year. Please contact your District of Residence to begin the process.  Applications for the 2017-2018 school year will be accepted beginning April 3, 2017 and may be dropped off to District Transfers at the District Office, Building 200, Room 213.



FIRST DAY of school for the 2017-2018 school year is Thursday, August 17, 2017. All registered students MUST be in their assigned seat on the first day of school. Any student who is not in class on the first day of school will be DROPPED from the enrollment and their name will be placed at the bottom of the registration list. The student may be overflowed to another school if a seat is unavailable when they return to school. This applies to all students, new and returning.


Posted by: Alicia Chairez Published:2/6/17
Audience: Homepage